The Elements are a universal constant and an ultimate truth. There are five elements in total, though interactions between them create less important sub-elements. Each element is associated with certain aspects of life, though this isn't particularly important nor necessarily set in stone. Cultural differences may also affect how certain elements are perceived. The elements are often counted as "four and one", because of the peculiarity of Ether. Some academics have taken to discounting Ether as an actual element, perceiving it as a separate force.
The five elements and their associations:
- Earth - Foundation, balance, peace, fortitude, steadiness.
- Water - Wisdom, discovery, purity, sexuality.
- Fire - Change, history, rulership, survival, both strength and weakness.
- Air - Direction, movement, new ideas.
- Ether - Creation, power, vastness, the undiscovered.